Rumor: Highly Anticipated Ubisoft Title May Skip The Game Awards

Rumor: Highly Anticipated Ubisoft Title May Skip The Game Awards

A known industry insider has claimed that the upcoming Ubisoft remake of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time may skip the 2025 edition of The Game Awards, meaning fans will have to wait a little longer for more information. Many gamers looking forward to Ubisoft’s upcoming project have expressed disappointment at the prospect.

Originally released in fall 2003 on platforms like GameCube and PS2, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is a 3D platformer reboot of the original series that first launched in 1989. The Sands of Time put players in the perspective of the unnamed, titular Prince, as he uses the magical Dagger of Time to rewind time and destroy dangerous monsters. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is considered one of the best games that utilizes time as a core mechanic. In 2020, Ubisoft revealed that a remake was in development. After various issues during development, Ubisoft Montreal assumed control of the project and stated that the game would launch sometime in 2026. However, a concrete release date remains elusive as of this writing.

Ubisoft Comments on Assassin’s Creed Microtransactions

An Ubisoft lead talks about the use of microtransactions in Assassin’s Creed and why they exist, touching on player frustrations.

NateTheHate Doesn’t See Prince of Persia Showing Up to The Game Awards

Though rumors about Ubisoft’s plans should be taken with a fine grain of salt, known industry insider NateTheHate stated on Twitter that he is not expecting The Sands of Time Remake to appear during The Game Awards on December 11 but did not elaborate with any additional information. Nate responded to a question about The Sands of Time Remake following previous rumors that claimed Ubisoft was planning to launch the game in January 2026.

The content creator’s track record as an insider has been fairly consistent when it comes to gaming industry topics. In early 2025, NateTheHate stated that the Switch 2 would be revealed on January 16 and made his claim days before Nintendo officially revealed its latest console. His prediction ended up being correct, as Nintendo unveiled the Switch 2 via an official trailer on January 16, validating Nate’s previous claims.

Ubisoft Confirms Leaked Footage Of The Sands of Time Remake Is Outdated

Earlier in November, leaked footage from Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake made the rounds on social media, showing how much the game has changed since its original 2003 release. Surprisingly, Ubisoft confirmed that the leaked footage was legitimate and said that it was from a community member workshop held in early 2024. Ergo, the leaked footage of The Sands of Time Remake was from an outdated developer build. Ubisoft also said that it would have more updates about Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake to share with fans sometime in 2026.

When Will Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake Be Officially Revealed?

Prince of Persia The Sands of Time Key Artwork

Given that The Game Awards is a popular time to show off various trailers for upcoming games, the fact that The Sands of Time Remake could be saved for a 2026 would surely be for good reason. With Ubisoft previously delaying its quarterly financial earnings report, the state of the company remains in flux, which could affect any release windows that Ubisoft has in mind for the Prince of Persia series and other projects it is working on.

Additionally, there is a possibility that the previously stated January 2026 release window could give the company a chance to shadowdrop Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Remake on various platforms. Though Ubisoft has some games still in development, it remains to be seen when Prince of Persia will return to the spotlight.

News Source link